I have worked as a professional writer for more than 20 years. I recently obtained a master’s degree in Public Relations and Organizational Communications from Wayne State University. I also hold a graduate certificate in Health Communication from Wayne. In the days of yore, I obtained a bachelor’s degree in English with a minor in Journalism from Oakland University. I love to write! Here, I feature some of my more recent work that has been published in newspapers, as well as my written work associated with the Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute.
Link to examples of my work at the Karmanos Cancer Institute:
This link includes writing that I’ve done for brochures, news releases, magazine articles and my editorship of Karmanos’ Hope magazine. Please click here.
Story about Karmanos scientist Benjamin Kidder and his research into how a cellular enzyme regulates cancer genes. Please click here.
Articles published in the Detroit Jewish News:
- Cover story about teens and young adults who are living with an eating disorder. This appeared in the Dec. 27, 2018 – Jan. 2, 2019 edition of the Detroit Jewish News. See page 1 here and page 2 here.
- Story about Howard and Sarah Katz (no relation to me) who discovered they had a BRCA gene mutation, which puts them at higher risk for a cancer diagnosis. Click here to read page 1 and here to read page two.
- Story about Marc Rosenzweig, who, despite fighting three different cancers, found hope in a clinical trial at the Karmanos Cancer Institute. Read the story here.
- Story about Fay Jacobs, who at 93 is still going strong as a volunteer at the Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute. Read the story here .
Article published in the Michigan Chronicle
- Story about a Beaumont Health study that looked at the largest number of African-American women and the effects of moderate exercise of health. Read the story here and here.
Story published in Wayne State University’s Community Impact Magazine.
- Story about the Detroit ROCS study, which represents the nation’s largest study of African-American cancer survivors to better understand the disproportionately high-incidence and mortality rates from cancer and its impact on this specific patient population. I co-authored this with Patricia A. Ellis, director of Media Relations at Karmanos. Read the story here on pages 24-28.
Karmanos Hope magazine
I served as editor of Karmanos Hope magazine from 2011-2018, publishing 22 editions. I was responsible for story conceptualization, working with free-lance writers and graphic designers, editing content and coordinating the various approval schedules associated with magazine production.
To view the complete archives of Hope magazine, click here.